Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A new post!!!

My camera was misplaced at the University of Utah Medical Center when we were there over the summer. I still have not gotten it back due to some logistical problems. I sometimes feel like, no pictures, no post, but I'll catch everyone up anyway.

We started Kindergarten and Tristan announced at the end of the first day that he had made one friend. When I asked his friend's name, he didn't know. Hey... little things aren't important. He also told me that it was SO easy to make a friend. He just said, "Hey, do you want to be my friend?" and the other boy said yes. "Isn't that SO great mom!" Also there was a bit of amusement when he told me that his new friend looked JUST like him. Same hair, same eyes... "just like me, mom." The next day we went to school and he was looking for his new friend to point him out to me. At first he said, "That's him over there... wait, that's not him." (This boy was Chinese) Then finally, at long last, The Friend came. Turns out, he does have the same hair and eye color as Tristan. He also happens to be a dark-skinned Pakistani. It was funny, but I appreciate at the same time that kids don't see race.

The greatest thing about Kindergarten is that he gets to go everyday. I pick him up at noon and that rolls around pretty fast. He really loves it, but I'm already getting grief from him about doing the homework. Uh.. Tristan... this is only the beginning. Writing your name twice and reading a story is not exactly a lot of homework.

My other news is that I got another calling. They didn't release me from teaching Sunday School. We're going to see how it is doing both. "So, we have a special calling in mind for you," says the bishop. "We've struggled to fill this calling for a while (uh huh) and when you walked in the church on Sunday it was like a vision. (I bet you say that to everyone) We'd like you to be the Webelos Den Leader."
Silence
More silence
"Ummm... what does this entail for me?"
"Only one night a week for den meeting. One night a month for pack meeting. (Who remembers the watermelon cheer?) One night a month for pack leadership meeting and one night a month if you want to go to the council roundtable. "
"Wow, is that all? I'm surprised this has been so difficult to fill. Who doesn't want a bunch of 10 year old boys running around their house? Who doesn't have 2 nights a week to commit?"

Tristan is very excited. Can't you just see him eating all of that campy stuff up at the pack meeting? He's also excited that a group of 10 year olds are going to come to our house and run around. Me? I just can't wait to buy my yellow shirt and sew on some patches. I'm VERY open to suggestions for the group. Because so far-- I got nothin'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm just blown away at the new post. Has it been a year since the last??? Do you get to earn stinkin patches too?? At family gatherings are you going to hold up two fingers for silence??

Usandthings said...

Wow, cub scouts. Tyler is in charge of the bears, but they meet at the church, not our house. As far as activities: I think they play marbles a lot.

The Duke said...

I was the Webelos leader for a while. I tried to ask the boys which activity pin they'd like to be working on. We picked out three or so reasonable ones, then I would try to arrange brief outings to fill some of the requirements. For example we went to the local raptor rescue center to do Naturalist. I never went to the round table meetings, even though I was encouraged to go. The pack leader went and relayed the information. How many boys do you have? (This can considerably change the dynamic.)