Thursday, August 12, 2010

Allergy Testing


Most of you know that Tristan suffers from terrible seasonal allergies. We've been to our pediatrician twice before about them, but they seem to be getting worse and he gets no relief from the meds they've given him. So... we went to see an allergist.

He talked to us for a while and recommended allergy testing. Here's Tristan getting ready for the test. They tested him for 42 allergens.


Tristan was such a trooper. They essentially stuck him with 42 small needles. He didn't make a peep. He just laid there and sometimes flinched.

At the top of his shoulders they have 2 controls. A histamine control and a saline control.
This picture is of the histamine. This is what his marks will look like if he's allergic.

Here's the first one to pop up....


He had three allergens go crazy! The wheals that popped up were off-the-chart for size and each sprouted a pseudopod... they were spreading.
The nurse measured a few and put Tristan out of his misery a little by putting some anti-itch cream on him.
The results? Tristan is HIGHLY allergic to grasses. All kinds. Interesting though, because it's only when the grass is pollinating. In Utah, that's May-July. He's also allergic (not as severe) to the Linden Tree (random), and Dock/sorrel mix weeds. The Dr. gave us Zyrtec, anti-histamine eye drops (that the pediatrician said don't exist) and nasal spray. He said to use all three.

The allergist wanted him to agree to immunotherapy. He's not ready. I think Chantel has done this? All I can think of is The Princess Bride Iocaine powder. They give him an injection twice a week for 4 months, increasing the amount of allergen each time. It's a 3-4 year commitment and injections at first of 2 times a week, then once a week... then once a month. Yeah... he's not ready.
The Dr. said that he probably will be ready in a few years when he's tired of dealing with the allergies. A neighbor's son is 13 and he's begging for it.

It's Jack's birthday today. We're heading to the Sweet's Candy Co. factory tour. Yes! I hope it's exciting. I hear we all get to wear hair nets. I'll post pics.

3 comments:

Belle of the Blues said...

Dang! They only tested me for 22 allergens (plus the 2 controls = 24), and Maryland is supposedly allergy central. I'm only allergic to one thing, but I'm severely allergic and it makes my life miserable. I did do allergy injections for about a year and a half and they were extremely effective. So effective that I thought maybe I could go without. Now I am dying and they are re-mixing my serum so I can start again. In the meantime, nasal spray and eye drops are heaven sent. Good luck! Also, don't you think it's nice to know what he's allergic to? At least you can try to avoid it as best you can.

Tyler Ball said...

I happen to know of a place that has little to no grasses around if he's interested.

Usandthings said...

Poor kid! Allergic to grass, might as well be allergic to oxygen. And, I'm super jealous of your factory tour. I love those things.