Friday, October 02, 2009

Not going as planned

So, Brian's been sick since we got back from California. Two weeks ago I ripped out all of the nice bushes out of our front yard and gave them to the neighbor. I had purchased 27 new plants and 50 bulbs from an online gardening website. I think I thought they were all going to show up as little plants. Not too little either, because they promise that they were all at least a year old. Soooooo..... on Tuesday all of my plants show up. Brian called me because I was up the street "at the mailbox". I accidentally turned the mailbox trip into a visit to my neighbor's house. Anyway, he called and said, 'Your plants came."
I raced home and there was a single green bag, about 1'X3', on the porch.
"Umm... where are the rest of them Brian?"
He said, "That's all that came."
Hmm. Surely there is some mistake. Maybe just the instructions are in here. Yeah. They were all these tiny, bare-rooted plants. Three of them were sticks with small roots on them.
Wednesday I couldn't plant because the wind was blowing 40mph, so on Thursday I started. In my mind Brian was going to be super helpful and help me amend and turn over all the flower beds. First though, you have to move the 1-2' deep bark mulch that's there. Did I mention Brian's sick? Ugh! It snowed Wednesday night so I felt like I had to hurry and get it done.

Apparently when one is sick... one doesn't feel like gardening.

I've worked at it for a long time. I have it 3/4 of the way done. I've worked while the baby fussed, in a snowsuit, in the stroller. I've worked at it while the snowsuited baby was strapped to my chest in the Snugglie. Try sweeping with the baby in the Snugglie... "Oh sorry Hudson I hit you in the head. Oops. Oh sorry... did it again." I'm running out of steam. I totally rely on Brian to do the difficult manual labor chores. He doesn't get tired. I, on the other hand, poop out.

It's also very unsatisfying. I took at nice yard, ripped it up and planted bare-root plants that don't show above the ground. So, now it looks worse than before. I also don't know how the plants will look next to each other AND I can't tell where I've planted stuff. Hopefully the spring will make it all worth it.

I also was shamed in California when I saw the purse that Amanda had made for Anne. Amanda and I bought the pattern for the purse and the fabric many moons ago, and Amanda has made 2... whereas I've made 0. I told Anne that I was going to finally tackle the purse and she said, "I don't know that I would make something Amanda already made. She's got mad skills with sewing." Ugh I know! I only have mad skills with unpicking... and breaking needles. But... much unpicking and 4 broken needles later... I made the purse and it's SO CUTE!


We've also been trying to finally move in. We re-organized the filing cabinet, moved Tristan's dresser, moved Jack's dresser, moved Hudson's dresser, put the cradle away, set up the crib, put away another box of books and various other household jobs.

While I've gardened, kept house and made a purse this week, oh and I worked in Jack's classroom, I haven't run on the treadmill or gone to exercise class. Oh well.

3 comments:

Usandthings said...

Congratulations on being so productive! I did the shred on Wednesday after not working out for 10 days and eating A Lot of chocolate/sugar and it was very painful. Like, I wanted to cry. So, good luck with that.

Anne said...

Good job on the purse... there only remains one question - does YOURS have magnet in it?

Allison said...

yes on the magnet.