Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Adventures at Bootcamp

Yesterday I started a 4-week exercise bootcamp. I've decided to share the experience through a journal. The bootcamp goes from 5:30am to 6:30 am., Monday-Friday. I have to bring a thick mat, 5 lb weights, water and a towel everyday. It's dark when we get there, but light when we're finished.

Day 1

We started by running for 5-7 minutes around the school for a warm-up. I was dying during the warm-up! I knew it didn't bode well for me. We did A LOT of squats and lunges...every variety you can think of. There was jump roping, sit-ups, push-ups, etc. You're supposed to eat something small before you come. They suggested to eat half of a zone bar. I did and the whole time it threatened to revisit me. Ick! I was ok right after the workout, but by about 10:30 am I was kind of walking funny. I tried to drink a lot of water to help flush the lactic acid build up. I also tried to eat as they told me.... tried. I was STARVING! They want you to eat 6-7 small meals being sure to get enough protein to repair the muscles we're tearing down. I couldn't seem to get enough to eat. I'd eat, feel full, and an hour later be starving. We went to dad's house last night so I could sit in the jacuzzi, to relieve some of my stiffness.

Day 2

I woke up VERY sore. The instructor really pushes you to come, especially if you're sore. In theory it's supposed to help relieve some of the soreness. Ummm... not so. I didn't poop out during the warm-up today and I didn't eat the zone bar before. It was better. I still can't keep my weights in my hands the whole time. I have to drop them about half-way through. We did... MORE LUNGES AND SQUATS! We did the exercise where you keep your legs together, pretend to sit down and then JUMP UP. She takes you through this insane routine and then when you think you are going to die... she says, "Ok, do that routine three more times. Then we'll do abs." AAAaaaaaaahhhhh. I'm very, very, very sore. I can't emphasize that enough. I can hardly move. My visiting teachers are coming over today and I was trying to clean. Ha! Reaching the ground is so difficult. I also have to run to the bathroom every 5 minutes because of all the water I'm drinking. I'm supposed to drink half of my body weight in oz. of water.

They measured my body fat and measured every part of my body. The idea is that you'll be able to see the results at the end.

4 comments:

Bluebell said...

Good for you. Sounds like *fun* !

Caitlin said...

That is one thing that gets me when I work out hard, I am starving all the time. Good luck with that. I am sticking to 10 mins of pilates and 10 mins of weights/squats in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! I love when you are so sore that all you can do is laugh. Good times.

Usandthings said...

Wow. I remember once when I was on the swim team, I was so sore, I couldn't lift my arm to brush my teeth. I picture you are sore like that.