Monday, October 17, 2011

Surgery

Brian is having ACL reconstruction surgery on Thursday.  I had to laugh because originally he told me I didn't even need to go to the hospital with him, that he was going to drive himself home.  It's his left leg, so he thought he'd just drive with his right.  After going to his pre-op appointment, his opinion of the surgery has changed, somewhat.  He will have to be on his back, with his leg elevated, for 7 days after surgery.  SEVEN days!!! He has to have his leg strapped into a range of motion machine for 23 hours a day.  Ummm... how am I supposed to sleep through that?  I also told him that I hope he can get up to go to the bathroom, because I have my limits.  The following is an animated video of ACL reconstruction surgery.  The difference between this video and Brian's surgery is that he is having the ligament harvested from his hamstring, not the patellar tendon.  (We couldn't find a good video of his same surgery.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

mHoly Cow! I don't know about the machine thing.... I think this was a little more intense then I was thinking too...

Usandthings said...

Tyler wants to know if the risk associated with a cadaver donor is that there's a risk the cadaver will be a zombie and come after you for his graft back.