Monday, July 19, 2010

Decisions, decisions....


Many of you know that Tristan got into one of the charter schools around here. We orginally applied back in January to get it. It works on a lottery system so we didn't know if we would get in. We applied to 3 schools and got onto a waiting list for 1 school. In January, when we applied, Tristan was unhappy at school. (big surprise) He had some valid concerns. He wanted to work at his own pace in math and I felt he wasn't being challenged in reading. The charter schools all work based on achievement level. Anyway... we learned about two weeks ago that Tristan got into Mountainville Academy. It's pretty fancy.
Now he doesn't want to go. Great. Suddenly, he remembers that he has all these friends that he'll miss. Mind you, we've only seen 2 friends this whole summer, and 1 of those friends is going to go to a different elementary school anyway. His big hurdle seems to be that Mountainville has a dress code. Dun dun dun dunnnn.... School uniforms!!! Aaaaaaaaaaaa... Can you hear the horror? He is mortified. Anne was here and we were reading the dress code policy and one of us said, "Geez, do all the kids get beat up before and after school?" It's like, "They may not wear a jacket in class, but then can wear a school approved sweater vest or cardigan." lol. It's not soo bad. Mostly it's a polo with khaki pants or shorts. Now, mind you... it's only a white or navy polo with navy or khaki trousers. NEVER NAVY POLO WITH NAVY PANTS! never. (yeah, it specifies that) They can wear a sweatshirt if the school logo has been embroidered on it. whew.
In all though, the uniform clothes are cheap. $10 for pants and $6 for the shirts. On Mondays they have to wear the full dress uniform: White oxford shirt, Marymount plaid tie, navy pants and dress shoes. Don't forget the belt. A belt must always be worn and the shirt must always be tucked in. Everyday.

Tristan is protesting... a lot. His comment was, "You'd think if they wanted us to actually wear this stuff all the time, they'd have made it cooler."

But-- the school's academics are great. They offer an afterschool Robotics program!!! Helloooo... Tristan can work at his own pace in all core subjects. They have smaller class sizes. Every class has an aide, etc. He can be in orchestra this year, science club, etc. They have a fall carnival (don't underestimate the selling power of the carnival feature. I'm using what I can to sell Tristan).
They have a leadership training program called, "Leader In Me" and they have won awards for it. It sounds really great. I do feel overwhelmed though. All families are required to volunteer 40 hours a year. It seems like we've gotten ourselves into Super Elementary school. The first week of August there is a 2 day seminar on going to the school. 2 days. There are break-out sessions every hour on the dress code, the leadership program, the core subjects, the direct instruction teaching method, etc. uh... a 2 day seminar on how to properly send my kids to school. see? overwhelming.

As for Jack, he didn't get in. He has priority now that Tristan is in. He may get in mid-year, or we may have to wait until next fall. He said he doesn't mind going to Mountainville. He can make friends anywhere.

Coleman is coming soon. We're not sure the exact date. His football starts August 7th, so it will be before then.

We've had a great summer so far. I loved spending time with the family in California. I didn't take very many pictures, so I'm grateful to those who did. We just got back from Idaho and had a great time there too. Tristan's allergies were really bad in Idaho and he had an asthma attack. I'm going to take him to an allergist. I don't feel like his allergies are being managed well at all.

I feel like the summer is flying by. I already have so many things I have to plan for fall. We signed the kids up for flag football and school starts for Tristan on Aug. 17th. So soon. Tristan starts a week before Jack. (not a good selling feature.) He also goes 45 minutes longer everyday. ouch.

4 comments:

Belle of the Blues said...

40 hours a year does sound overwhelming. But the school sounds AMAZING. I bet he will love it, and find it easier to make friends there. I also think that after a couple of weeks, the uniform will be no big deal. Do they bus the kids there?

There are no charter schools in our county. Our school system is pretty good, but it's kind of all or nothing here (part of why we homeschooled for kindergarten).

Thanks for the update. Love the info, loved seeing your beautiful smile and your sweet kids. Also, is Coleman coming to live with you permanently? News to me.

Anne said...

I think you should urge him to go, and by urge I kind of mean make, and by kind of I mean you should make him. I know it sounds kind of mean, but think of the opportunities he will miss out on if he doesn't go! When he grows up I bet he will resent you for that, more than he would resent you for sending him to a school with a dress code.

Tyler Ball said...

I don't think the dress code will be a big deal. It does sound like there are a lot of neat things for him to do at it, but I'm sure that the regular school has some kind of programs/clubs that he would like. He doesn't have to be making robots or playing polo 24/7 to make him into a well rounded genius. Either school will work out.

Anonymous said...

When I talked to you last, you had decided against it. Now you're rethinking? Personally, I think the charter school will be better for him. Let us know what you decide.